Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My (Almost) 2 Year Old Doesn't Talk Yet

My (Almost) 2 Year Old Doesn't Talk Yet

As the title says, my oldest boy is going to be two in only two months and he isn't talking yet. I am so worried about him because of this and I'm hoping it's just because he doesn't want to. He used to say some words when he was a lot younger (not very many but he did say some) and now he won't say anything. The only thing he will say is "bye bye" and wave, which is super cute and he does it all the time but I wish he would say more. He understands everything we are saying to him and will nod or shake his head or point at things that he wants. He was a late walker, at 15 months, and I read that sometimes late walkers are late talkers...but I feel like somehow it's my fault.

When we were at the doctor for our twins' 9 month checkups I asked her if we should be concerned about it and she said yes right away. So of course now I'm even more worried than I was before. We had his hearing checked the week after that (and it's fine just as I knew it would be) but they won't do any further evaluation for him until he is two years old. So for now we just keep working with him. He is a really stubborn but really smart kid! He is learning his colors and shapes and loves to count things. He can recognize lots of different animals and knows what sounds they make. He used to love making dinosaur/bear/lion sounds (roar) and cow sounds but now he won't even do that anymore. 

It's a little sad for me as well. Especially when I hear all the cute things that other kids his age are saying and he won't even say "mama" to me. I know he can say it because I've heard him say it before (and daddy) but he just refuses now. At this rate the babies will be talking before him, and they are actually starting to say "dada". It's not like he is silent, he "talks" all the time but it's just sounds...I usually know what he is trying to say and he is very expressive, but he doesn't use any actual words. He is a really good little boy and we've never had any problems with him at all, he was such an easy baby. (However, the twins are a completely different story!)

I'm not sure why I wrote this except to say that I feel guilty (did I do something wrong?) and worried and don't know what else to do for him. 

Has anyone else dealt with this before? Do you have any suggestions? 

My (Almost) 2 Year Old Doesn't Talk Yet

Want to stay updated? Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or even Pinterest! 
(This post might also be linked up to some of these lovely parties.)

5 comments :

  1. Sending you a virtual hug! No, you didn't do anything wrong. All kids develop at different times. As you said, he's into colors and shapes early. My baby sister was speech-delayed and went to speech therapy. She didn't talk until she was 3, but when she did, she kept going (and going and going, lol!). I hope that when you have the evaluation, it will be able to alleviate some of your concerns. You will get to hear him say all the cute things new-talkers say, but not until he's ready. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! :) I'm sure he will be speaking soon, when he's ready to. He's always been a bit stubborn about doing everything his own way lol. Thanks for the lovely and encouraging comment <3

      Delete
  2. We went through something just like this with my youngest. At two years old he was only making long vowel sounds and said one word, AJ, his big brother's name. We knew he had a large vocabulary though because what ever we told him he would go do it. The pediatrician had just suggested taking him to a speech therapist. Then about three months later he started talking in full sentences. He just wasn't going to do it until he knew he could do it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that's great that he didn't even have to go to the therapist. Maybe my little boy is doing something similar to that lol. It's funny how kids are all so different in their timetables for doing things :)

      Delete
  3. First of all, hugs to you!! Secondly, don't blame yourself, mama!! The fact that you KNOW he can say words but chooses not to, is a bit reassuring. I pray things go well with the evaluation - and I hope you hear those sweet words from him soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...