Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Two Years Ago on Father's Day...

Two Years Ago on Father's Day...

My oldest was born! Happy Birthday to my Superman! My favorite little two year old. We are going to visit the zoo today and then have some special birthday cake. The birthday party is not until next week because we are celebrating all three boys together this year. In honor of this special day, I've decided to share his birth story with you. It didn't turn out quite the way I had imagined it would...

Two Years Ago on Father's Day...

It all started on Father's Day morning. We were already almost a week past the due date, so obviously we were expecting (hoping) for something to happen at any time. My husband was sleeping, I was up playing video games on the computer. I've always been a morning person, otherwise I'm sure I would have been sleeping too. I had just finished up a dungeon and killed the final boss when I felt my water break. Such perfect timing, I didn't even have to leave in the middle of the dungeon!

As you can imagine, I was pretty excited and nervous. I woke up my husband and called the hospital. Then took a shower and got my bags in the care and we were off to the hospital! I wasn't having any contractions at all yet. When we got there they checked to make sure it was actually my water breaking, and we also found out that there was meconium in the amniotic fluid as well. Still nothing was happening so they started me on Pitocin. 

It took awhile but contractions finally started. We walked around. We waited and waited and walked the hallways some more. They gave even more Pitocin. Nothing was progressing much. I got an epidural eventually but we were only at 4cm and still getting nowhere. The doctor came in because our baby was starting to be in distress and his heartbeat was dropping. She told me it would be best to do a c-section. I was really scared of course. This was the last thing I wanted. But I agreed to it and they took me back right away.

I don't remember much of the surgery except the tugging and pulling and my shaking. My neck and arm muscles were in so much pain from all the shaking and shivering and I couldn't pay attention to anything else. They didn't even let me see my little boy until I was in the recovery room a little while later. The shaking was horrible. It seemed like it took forever for it to stop afterwards. But I got to hold me precious little boy and he was perfect. That was the only thing that mattered.

We were all set to go home a couple of days later but the day after my surgery I started having horrible pains and it got so bad I could not move without help. It turns out I had a bad ileus and ended up being there for nine days. I couldn't eat anything and wasn't supposed to drink water either but the pain meds made me extremely thirsty. I had to have a nasogastric tube in my nose to get all the green bile out of my stomach. 

It was awful. The worst experience of my life. My stomach was swelled up more than when I had a baby inside. They were talking about another surgery but thankfully it started to get better slowly on its own and we finally got to go home! I was able to breastfeed through all of this, which I was also very thankful for. The bad news is that I was in lots of pain and could barely walk upright for the next two months until they finally figured out what was wrong (they kept telling me it was just constipation) and I had to have another surgery to fix my intestines. This was another long week with no eating allowed. (All these issues are the reason I lost all my baby weight plus more in the first month). After that all was well and I got back to normal life. 

And that is the story of the best Father's Day gift ever. Happy Birthday my precious little boy!

Want to stay updated? Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or even Pinterest! 
(This post might also be linked up to some of these lovely parties.)

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for linking up with us. I love that you shared our story. I love seeing how different all our stories are. I am happy that you are back to a normal life and you have a beautiful baby boy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love to read other birth stories, it's so interesting to see all the different experiences! Thanks for stopping by :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...